Thursday, June 2, 2011

Shallee reviews The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker

Kate Lowry's best friend Grace died a year ago. So when she gets an email from her, Kate's more than a little confused.
To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)
Kate,
I'm here... sort of.
Find Cameron. He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell. They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace's death was more than just a tragic accident. She teams up with a couple of knights-in-(not-so)-shining armor-the dangerously hot bad boy, Liam, and her lovestruck neighbor, Seth. But at their elite private school, there are secrets so big people will do anything to protect them-even if it means getting rid of anyone trying to solve a murder...

I was lucky enough to win a copy of this, and I have to say the book surprised me. It sounded like an exciting read with some interesting twists. It was that, but it was so much more. Kate's character was deftly drawn, which helped bring out some of the deeper issues in the book-- grief, betrayal, tragedy, and secrets. The depth of feeling the book brought out in me was not what I expected, but I loved it.

I also loved the romantic relationships here. It's got a bit of a love triangle, but it's a completely different love triangle than I've ever seen. I loved each of the boys, and I loved the complexities of the relationships that emerged between everyone.

All in all, the mystery was intriguing and page turning, the emotional depth was stronger than expected, and this was just an all-around good read!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I love LiLa, so I'm always happy when I see another rave review about The Liar Society. Thanks, Shallee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved this one too. Great book. I just read today they got a book deal for a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I've been wanting to read this for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Roecker sisters out do themselves time and time again with their personality and the with the book I expected nothing short of awesome. Which is exactly what I got. Excellent review and I have to say that anyone who hasn't read it is crazy and needs to snag it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would NEVER have read this book. Because I'm a man. I read it because I'm friends with LiLa and they sent me an ARC.

    I was really surprised. It's hilarious and I loved it. Plus, there is even a sword fight. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete