Monday, December 17, 2012

OBSIDIAN by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Lux: Book 1)

I just read and reviewed Jennifer L. Armentrout's prequel novella, SHADOWS. And pretty much immediately vaulted into OBSIDIAN, Book 1 of the Lux series.

On goodreads

The Blurb:

Starting over sucks. 
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
 
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 
The hot alien living next door marks me. 
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
If I don't kill him first, that is.


The Afterglow:

Knowing all the background from the prequel novella SHADOWS really saved me from wanting to strangle or punch or otherwise shank Daemon in OBSIDIAN. He is a world-class jerk from the word go. But you get it if you read the prequel first. If you don't, well, you'll probably still love the tension between Katy and Daemon... even though your heart will break for Katy half a dozen times first.

The story is told entirely from Katy's perspective, which makes for some confusing overheard bits. If you like being a detective-reader, you'll love that. As a paranormal romance, it also has a very satisfying ending - not gushy, not devastating.

I'm actually in the middle of Book 2, ONYX, now, so that tells you how good OBSIDIAN was! It's candy for the mind. The love, the passion, the humiliation, the terror. It's all told in emotive detail.

Oh, and the main character has a book review blog! Gotta love that, right? Right?

Warning:  If you start this series, you may not be able to stop.


4 comments:

  1. Oh. My. The blurb about the book hooked me right away - but your review has bumped it up to a top spot on my TBR list. Great cover, too.

    p.s. This is my first time visiting your blog. *LOVE!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you love it! Come back and tell me if you got hooked too. :)

      Delete
  2. haha candy for the mind is a good way to describe it. daemon is definitely a jerk at times but i think he's a good guy underneath it all. enjoy onyx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was less thrilled by Onyx, but I think it's that whole past-the-point-of-no-return thing in romance. It was obvious they were going to end up together to everyone except for Katy... and that started to grate a little. I'm waiting for the next one to come out before I dive into Opal. I don't want to cliff-hanger myself if I don't have to! How did you feel at the end of Opal?

      Delete