Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Everybody Sees the Ants, by A.S. King


I just finished this novel the other day, and I'm still basking in the afterglow. I'm a little ticked I got it on my Kindle, because while I love the convenience of just grabbing the e-book in an instant, I would love to own the hardcover. I wouldn't call this cover beautiful, or shiny, and I wouldn't squee over it, but I do think it's compelling, and incredibly apt.

On the surface, this may seem like a simple story about bullying, or dysfunction in the family, but it's really so much more. Lucky Linderman is a character you can fall for in an instant. His situation isn't much different from hundreds of real kids his age. My own teenage years we're just as awkward, and filled with fear, apathy, and confusion. But Lucky's outlook, his intelligence, and his wit, draw you into his story with a power not many books can wield.

His opinions, and his total lack of fear to tell the truth about them (at least to the reader) set this book apart from most other young adult novels, in the sense that it truly feels like it was written by the character, rather than the author.

After getting in trouble for doing a survey about suicide, Lucky tells us:

Three hours after my meeting with the principal, I was sitting in the guidance office. Six days later, I was in the conference room with my parents, surrounded by the school district’s “experts” who watched my every move and scribbled notes about my behavior. In the end they recommended family therapy, suggested medications and further professional testing for disorders like depression, ADHD and Asperger’s syndrome. Professional testing! For asking a dumb question about how you’d off yourself if you were going to off yourself.

It’s as if they’d never known one single teenager in their whole lives.


In that moment, I felt like I was right inside Lucky's mind, and I knew exactly how he felt, for I'd felt that way countless times in my own life.

From there the story gets much stranger, and I won't give the plot away, because it's full of lush surprises, but I will say that when a tale blends metaphor and possible fantasy (or not) with the harsh reality of life, it does everything I love about stories and storytelling.

King also gets points from me for quoting Robert Nesta Marley, and for dedicating the book to everyone who sees the ants, which, if we can admit it, is really all of us.

Aren't we all bleeding, a little?

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention where else you can find A.S. King. She has a blog, and a website, but there is also an amazing interview with her and Paolo Bacigalupi, if you scroll down from the Amazon page for Ants.

31 comments:

  1. Loved the paragraph you quoted. And I admit you've got me intrigued. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since most kids experienced awkward teen years, I'm sure they will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we are. Great review, Matt. From the excerpt you included, I'm already intrigued with this kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should point out, that last line is a quote from the book, not something I came up with. I just don't want to attribute it, because I don't want to give away how awesome it is.

      Delete
  4. You have made me a fan of non-reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do want to read this book. Her writing is powerful and engaging. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool review, Matt. Suicide is a touchy subject (which obviously leads the adults in Lucky's life to overreact), but an intriguing story I' m sure!

    I don't know why but I had to giggle that you wrote "squee". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I don't really squee, but I like to talk about not squeeing, because then I get to write "squee."

      Delete
    2. I'm not a girlie-girl at all but I do squee from time to time.

      Delete
  7. My first ever unreview!! Thanks Mr MacNish and hope you get the print copy too cos this sounds so worth it, none of this kindle nonsense. :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely *bleed, bleed, bleed*! I am in the beginning of reading this book and now can't WAIT to continue! Thanks, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be prepared to get rocked, Christina. It just keeps getting better and better.

      Delete
  9. I agree, this is an amazing follow up to Vera! (Matt, did you know that A.S. is my main writing influence?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were a big fan, but not that she was your main influence. Very cool.

      Delete
  10. Awesome review, and at first I thought that said S. King. As in "Stephen." Your review of this book made me think of the Chocolate War and Catcher in the Rye, and all the old good books about being miserable at that age. Good stuff. Now what's this ant thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read it, Leigh, although there are a lot of reviews out there that give it away, if you want to just search.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful review! A.S. King is one of my new favorite authors - I loved Please Ignore Vera Dietz and Ants is going to the top of my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's yet another one I need to add to the TBR list. The voice is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The title of this novel makes you wonder and your thoughts on this book makes me even more intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit confused/intrigued by the title myself, Angela, but it all makes perfect sense as soon as you're a little way into the book.

      Delete
  14. I've heard a lot about this book, and will have to break out of my middle grade cocoon and read it.

    Great unreview, Matt. Like Kelly, I laughed at the thought of you squeeing. I think a video of you doing just that would go viral... (just sayin').

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...that sounds great! I will definitely add it to my list ASAP! (also, I would really like to hear YOU "squee" because I just can't picture it.) I can relate very well to that little bit you put up. When I was in high school someone told the principle I was suicidal. Got everyone in a tizzy and it wasn't true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most adults are just terrified of teenagers. It's their problem, not the kid's.

      Delete
  16. This book sounds great! Only adults who don't have any teenagers of their own fear teenagers, Matt.

    Even our own kids become strange between the ages of 13-18. After 18, I'm told they become human again. Mine did, slowly.

    I'll look for this book. That was a nice unreview, Matt. (Which looks suspiciously like a review. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the next one on my TBR list. It's been sitting in the pile since October, and it's finally the book on top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds so intriguing. Thanks for giving the heads up Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The excerpt hooked me. Love the voice. I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd love to see you squee, Matt. And that last line is killer. Jon will have my head (or at least my writing muse) if I don't read this one! :)

    It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds interesting and poignant, indeed. Adding it to my TBR list. I haven't read any of her books, but I definitely will now.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the A-to-Z; we're gearing up for the upcoming 2012 A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! A new book to add to my victim list ( : Thanks for the recommend!!

    By the way, I love your blog title "Afterglow" book reviews... AWESOME! I LOVE that afterglow feeling of finishing a good book! The only problem comes five seconds later when I realize... "CRAP. I just finished a good book. Now what?!" haha!

    ReplyDelete