Thursday, September 8, 2011

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs

YES I get to be the first to review this for Afterglow!

Excerpted summary from Goodreads:


A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience.


The afterglow:


I was never going to read this book.

I'd originally bought it as a birthday gift for my co-vlogger - only she'd bought it four days before in a Border's closing sale.

Here I was, stuck with a creepy book with no easy return.

So I starting reading.

After 30 pages flew by I considered keeping it.

200 pages later I was hooked.  I'd stayed up until 6 a.m. reading books before, but never until 9 a.m.  (Yes, I said a.m.  Granted I didn't start until 5 a.m.)

Aptly published by Quirk, this debut novel at turns charmed, terrified, moved, and nauseated me.  (I don't recommend eating while reading...)

One of the most interesting things is seeing how Riggs wove the photos - all found and unaltered - into a narrative that was not only entertaining, but tightly woven with a terrific twist.  It's like reading an extremely well-written creative writing class prompt that continued until it became an emotionally true story.  The last two photos are just breathtaking; they stun the heart.

Jacob, the protag, has a wonderful voice, and each character is well-enunciated.  This is a rare book that stands out for its originality.  Don't you dare buy this in anything other than its hardcover - there's a cute little surprise on the cover underneath the jacket.

I'm so glad an accident forced me to read this book!

7 comments:

  1. I want to read this one so badly! Great review, thanks Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this one on my shelf for a while and I'm so excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I've been wondering if I should read this book, but now I think I'm going to. Thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you kept it like I told you to and even better that you liked it! I can't wait to read my copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one. One of my favs of 2011! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the kindle version, what's the surprise I missed ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For those who haven't discovered the "surprise" look away now!

    SooBie - it's not that huge - just Alma's signature embossed in gold. Something cute :)

    ReplyDelete