Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans



From Goodreads: Michael thinks he's unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive

When I first picked up this book, I just just finished reading The Maze Runner (which was non-stop action up until the end), so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It felt like going from the first Transformers movie and then immediately watching Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.

By the time I finished the book, though, I was surprised how fast and how well the story progressed and how it came to an end. Once it got to a certain point, there was non-stop action in the story and I felt disappointed when I had to put it down to sleep or go to work. Michael shows a lot of determination throughout the book, even though he was always getting in trouble at school and receiving just ok grades. Both Michael and Taylor continue to learn more and more about themselves as they are thrown into different situations, especially how far they are willing to go to feel accepted into a group.


I was surprised by how calm and collected the bad guy was throughout the book. At times you are unsure whether or not he is actually the bad guy or just really hard on the kids sometimes. He is also left to be a pretty mysterious figure, with the sunglasses that he never takes off.


Reading the end of this book will leave you itching for more.

I would recommend this to anyone. It's good for teenagers and adults alike, though sold as a YA novel. Anyone could relate to Michael and enjoy reading about his adventure.

This is the first of a seven-book series.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a departure from the books he ususaly writes. I think I would be interested in it for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard only good things about this book, so when you told me you wished I was reading it so we could talk about it, that got me even more excited about the story line. Too bad there's a wait for book 2 in the series. That always makes me put off reading the first book. :) I hate waiting.

    p.s. YA sci-fi is the best!!

    ReplyDelete