Friday, April 29, 2011

Bill's Review - Virus on Orbis 1 by PJ Haarsma

I wasn't sure what to expect in this book. I hadn't heard about it before, but I just finished the latest Vince Flynn book I was reading and I didn't have another book to start. My wife handed me Virus on Orbis 1 and I read the back cover.

It sounded interesting, but it didn't strike my fancy at first. I took the book to work and read a little here and there, just a few pages at a time. It was a little slow at first, but picked up soon after.

The story revolves around a boy named Johnny Turnbull who is with his sister and a bunch of other kids on a ship on its way to a planet called Orbis 1. All of their parents passed away after a mysterious malfunction kills them. Once they get to the planet, these children have to take over the working contract their parents signed up for, which they are not too excited about. Johnny (or JT as he is commonly referred to by his friends) finds out he is a softwire (he has the ability to communicate with any computer with just his mind) and then is stuck in a power struggle between the business owners and the high council of the planet.

This story is full of twists and turns and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I wasn't sure when the book was going to hit its climax, but when it finally did, I was surprised and excited. Haarsma does a great job of creating another world and putting information about this world in the simplest terms that makes it very easy to understand. Also, in the end you are in for quite a surprise.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome, honey! I can't wait to read it so we can talk about it. :) I thought the concept sounded awesome, sort of Ender's Game-ish.

    ReplyDelete